Sep 9, 2010

ONE WEEK...

I have officially been back in America for one week.  

ARRIVAL AT THE NW ARKANSAS AIRPORT W/ FAMILY THERE TO GREET ME...I barely remember this picture. :-)
I've honestly been avoiding all communication with the outside world (skype, email, facebook).  It's weird.  Being here.  It's nice to be with family and to enjoy all the luxuries that America brings...but it's overwhelming as well.  For example, my first task--right as I stepped off the plane--was to buy a vehicle.  Since Rogers and Bella Vista, Arkansas aren't so much "walking/public transportation-to-where-you-need-to-go friendly" I need to have a car in order to get anywhere.  It was actually a super overwhelming process.  I've never sought out and bought a car before (my dad was a car dealer, thus I always got the hook up), so add jet lag; a roller coaster of emotion because, well, now I live in America and not Ukraine; and readjusting to American living...yep, quite the bucket-o-fun.  Ok, so it wasn't that bad.  I had some fun, bonding moments car-shopping with my dad.  Finally, I found THE ONE:

I like it because 1) it gets great gas mileage and 2) it's a cute hatchback, looking like a European car, which makes me happy.  So...that's me for now.  I am with car and am mobile.  I cry sporadically.  I feel numb, almost void of desire to really feel anything.  I'm getting there, though.  Baby steps.  Slowing entering back into communication with the outside world is step one.  Check.  That's me...for now. 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

So glad you're back safely. I know Brooke could hardly contain herself. :) I can't imagine the culture shock you're going through. Is it kind of like coming off of a junior high camp high? :) Anyway, I hope you adjust soon. Maybe we can see you sometime. That would be cool.

Alice Robbins said...

So glad to see and hear that you are doing well after one week. I am praying for you!
Alice

Just Us - The Carlsons said...

It looks like the car you drove to JVKamp!!!