Feb 7, 2012

I KNEW OHIO WAS DIFFERENT

OK, I understand that art is subjective.  Abstract paintings, interpretive dance, independent films, and especially alternative indie rock folk whatever.  With that being said, I still don't get it.  Take this video/song for example:  The National, "Bloodbuzz Ohio"


What the What?!  Seriously, I don't get it.  I like the sound and everything, cool vibe, but come on.  "I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees....I'm on a blood buzz."  Really?  Really.  I'm sure there is some abstract message about love or whatever here, but come on!  Must such art be so out there that only those people, who are a titch eccentric and the tiniest bit removed from reality, can understand it?  OR maybe it's simple, and I'm just missing it.  Maybe I'm the crazy one who doesn't get the obvious meaning behind such lines as "I never married, but Ohio don't remember me."  Maybe it's not abstract at all.  Obviously the song is about this man whom has had a terrible allergic reaction to a bee sting when he was visiting Ohio.  It was so bad he was put in the hospital, where they drew some blood and realized he is anemic.  Done.

No comments: